I’m now getting ready to finish my peony embroidery project, and it feels wonderful to finally be in the home stretch. There are only a few leaves and stems, along with a handful of flower petals, left to stitch. After spending so much time working on each flower and building up the layers of colour and detail, it’s exciting to see the piece gradually taking its final shape.
I’m really pleased with how the flowers have turned out so far. I love seeing how the different shades and stitches have come together to create depth and dimension. At this stage, even the smallest details make a noticeable difference to the overall appearance of the embroidery.
With just a little more stitching left to do, I’m looking forward to embroidering those final leaves, stems, and petals and watching the remaining empty spaces come to life. I can’t wait to complete the last few stitches, step back, and see the finished peony embroidery come together as a whole.
I’ve been trying to spend at least 30 minutes every afternoon working on this embroidery piece. I usually set a timer for 30 minutes and give myself one simple goal for that session—to finish at least one small area of the pattern. It might be a single leaf, one flower petal, or even just one row of stitches within a petal. Having a small, achievable goal makes the project feel much less overwhelming, especially when there are still quite a few details left to complete. More importantly, it gives me something to look forward to every afternoon.
I’ve really come to cherish this little stitching time in my day. I enjoy embroidery even more when it’s raining outside. We’ve been having plenty of rainy days lately, so it’s the perfect excuse to stay indoors and stitch! There’s something incredibly comforting about sitting by the window with my embroidery in my hands, a cup of hot herbal tea or a freshly brewed black coffee beside me, while listening to the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops. Watching the trees sway in the wind and the rain falling outside while I slowly add one stitch after another feels like my own little moment of peace. Honestly, it feels like heaven.
One of my favourite parts of starting an embroidery project is the preparation. I love transferring the pattern onto the fabric, deciding which threads to use, choosing the colours, and thinking about which stitches will work best for each part of the design. There is a certain excitement in looking at a blank piece of fabric and imagining how it will eventually transform into something colourful and detailed.
At the same time, when I’ve been working on a long embroidery project for quite a while, I sometimes like to take a break and work on an embroidery kit with a pre-printed pattern. I have a particular fondness for embroidery kits because they make the whole process so easy and enjoyable. The design is already printed onto the fabric, and the threads, needle, and other necessary materials are usually included in the package. There’s no need to spend time transferring the pattern or searching through my thread collection to find the right colours.
I especially enjoy this simplicity when I want to embroider without having to plan too much. I can simply open the kit, pick up my needle and thread, and start stitching. It feels almost like a little creative escape—a chance to concentrate purely on the stitching itself. For someone who loves the planning and preparation involved in creating their own embroidery projects, it might seem like taking a shortcut, but I think there is a place for both. Sometimes I want to be involved in every decision from beginning to end, and sometimes I just want to sit down and stitch.
Perhaps that is why I enjoy alternating between larger projects and embroidery kits. The longer projects give me the satisfaction of planning and creating something entirely my own, while the kits offer a relaxing change of pace. Either way, what I love most is simply having a needle, some thread, and a little time to create.
Happy stitching, and enjoy every little stitch!
--Flora





No comments:
Post a Comment